The word “relaxation” gives me anxiety at times. I am the first to admit that I find it difficult. Fresh home from my trip to Bali, I knew I needed to take some inspired action to avoid post-holiday blues. What did I learn about myself while on holidays? I actually DO enjoy relaxing and switching off from my routine!
With this in mind, I wanted to share my relaxation tips to bring a sense of holiday to those months or years in between the real ones. These are all very simple and you can don’t even need to leave home!
- Get outside during the day, even if it is just for 15 minutes – fresh air, sunlight and water are all necessary for the human body. You will feel more energised immediately!
- Try new foods which remind you of your holiday – find a place at home that makes the local cuisine, incorporate those holiday ingredients into your home-cooked meals, such as a new vegetable or fruit. My favourite thing to make at the moment is a smoothie with pineapple, lime, mint, maple syrup and coconut water – it reminds me of a cocktail!
- It’s ok to be active in your relaxation – remember all that walking you did on holidays? Why not continue it back at home and use your exercise tracker to make sure you stick to your goals.
- Explore your environment – really take notice of the little things. You may discover things you have never noticed, like dragonflies!
- Try a new skill – did you have a go at photography, golf, a different style of yoga or something else new on holidays? Why not find a local class or club to continue it back at home?
- Find some time to read a book every day – fiction, non-fiction, inspiration, self-help, a cookbook…anything that sparks your imagination.
- Buy some essential oils and salts, and actually take a bath!
- Drink lots of good quality water – I couldn’t believe how much more water I drank on holidays just by being present and listening to my body. Invest in a water filter that fills your water with good stuff as well as removing the baddies.
- Go to bed earlier and wake up without an alarm where you can. You will be surprised how much more energy you will have!
- Meditate – even if it’s only for 5 minutes each morning. It makes everything ok!
To give you a sense of what relaxation looked like for me in Bali, here are some photos to inspire you. Yes, there are lots of flowers and food involved!
I hope my list inspires you to bring a sense of holidays into your week. I would love to know what your favourite way to relax is in the comments below!
I am also excited to announce that I will be launching my very first eCourse later this year, which is being created especially for professional women to help calm the mind, energise the body and inspire your best life.
To be the first to know more about this eCourse and receive special VIP offers, sign up to the Gorgeous Presence newsletter today! As a gift, you will receive my eBook – ‘Your step-by-step guide to creating a joyful, healthy life’.